TO MAKE BROWN STOCK (MAKES APPROXIMATELY 3 LITRES)
1 kg beef bones, with a little flesh intact
2 medium sized onion, chopped into 1/2 inch rounds
1 large carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch rounds
4 large celery stalks, cut into thirds
3 tbsp palm oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 sprigs thyme
1 tbsp black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
6 litres water
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Arrange bones, onion, carrots and celery stalks in a roasting pan.
2. Toss the ingredients with palm oil, tomato paste and black peppercorns.
3. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 1 1/2 hours, until evenly browned.
4. Transfer roasted bones and vegetables to stockpot, adding thyme and bay leaves. Pour in water, enough to cover the ingredients.
5. Simmer for 4 – 5 hours. Skim away the fat at various intervals.
6. When done, strain the stock and discard the solids. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
TO MAKE DEMI-GLACE (MAKES ABOUT 250 ml)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 large carrot, finely chopped
1/4 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 litre brown stock
250 ml red wine
1 tsp tomato paste
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp black peppercorns
salt to taste
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a stock pot. Add onion, carrot, celery and tomato paste. Sauté for 15 minutes, until vegetables are well browned, then add in red wine. Cook until the alcohol evaporates.
2. Add brown stock, thyme, bay leaf, black peppercorns and bring to a boil. Decrease heat and simmer for another 2 hours until liquid, slightly thickened, is reduced to 250 ml.
3. Strain into a bowl and discard remaining solids. Keep demi-glace in refrigerator until ready to use.
TO MAKE BRAISED LAMB SHANK (MAKES 6 LAMB SHANKS)
6 lamb shanks
2 tbsp sea salt
3 tbsp ground black pepper
4 tbsp olive oil
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
3 carrots, roughly chopped
2 onion, roughly chopped
1 bottle San Remo Pasta Sauce (Tomato and Basil)
3 bay leaves
3 sprigs thyme
2 tbsp black peppercorns
6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
500 ml red wine
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 litres brown stock
250 ml demi-glace
200 ml chicken stock
1. Trim excess fat from lamb shanks with a sharp knife. Cut about 1 /2 inch from the narrow end of the shank down to the bone. Season the shanks with salt and pepper. Leave to refrigerate overnight.
2. Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Sauté carrot, celery and onion until well browned. Add San Remo Pasta Sauce and stir for another 3 – 4 minutes.
3. Add red wine, sugar, brown stock and demi-glace. Increase to high heat and leave to boil.
4. In a large frying pan, heat up 1/2 cup of olive oil. Brown shanks well on both sides, about 2 minutes for each side.
5. Transfer the shanks into stock pot with stock mixture, then add brown stock to cover the shanks if necessary. Decrease to low heat and allow to simmer for another 2 hours or until meat is very soft.
6. Remove the shanks from the braising liquid. Skim away any fat that rises, and strain the liquid to discard remaining solids. Save the liquid for later use.
TO MAKE THE LAMB DEMI-GLACE
200 g San Remo Linguine, cooked
1 braised lamb shank
1/2 cup demi-glace
1/4 cup lamb braising liquid
1/8 cup red wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp black peppercorns
1. In a medium saucepan, combine demi-glace, lamb braising liquid, and red wine. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, until liquid has slightly thickened. Add butter, brown sugar, salt and peppercorns to taste.
2. Arrange cooked pasta on a plate, then place the lamb shank atop the linguine and drizzle demi-glace sauce over. Serve warm.