Serves 4 as a starter and 2 as an entrée.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely diced
3 fat cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp paprika powder
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 x 411 g tinned tomatoes
2 tsp light brown sugar
salt to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a heavy based oven-safe skillet. Sauté onion, garlic, cumin, chilli powder and flakes, and paprika together until onion is slightly translucent.
2. Add in red bell pepper and continue to saute for another minute or so.
3. Add tinned tomatoes and season with sugar and salt. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened to a pasty consistency.
4. Form a well in the sauce and crack an egg into it. Repeat with the remaining three eggs. Keep over the fire for another half minute, then transfer to an oven preheated at 200°C.
5. Bake for 4 – 5 minutes, or until egg is done to your preference.
6. Serve hot with crusty bread.