PANDAN SPONGE CAKE
100 g plain flour
100 g sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
75 g melted butter
50 g pure pandan juice
50 g coconut milk
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1. In a bowl, put together egg yolks, coconut milk and pandan juice. Stir to combine.
2. Add in plain flour, baking powder, and whisk until batter is smooth and runny again. Set aside.
3. To make meringue – beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add in sugar and beat until firm peaks. Divide the meringue into three portions.
4. Slowly fold in 1/3 meringue into the egg yolk batter until combined. Add the next 1/3 meringue and whisk again. Finally, add in the last portion by whisking briefly to combine.
5. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius, line a 12 x 10 inch rectangular baking tray with parchment paper.
6. Pour the batter into a baking tray and bake for 25 – 35 minutes or until cooked.
7. Keep aside and cut into three equal portions.
PANDAN WHIPPED CREAM
150 g Paysan Breton UHT Cream
30 g castor sugar
50 g pandan juice
10 g potato starch
30 g water
10 g glycerine
1. In a small saucepan, dissolved water with potato starch, lightly heated to thicken, add in pandan juice and stir to combine, add in glycerin and mix well.
2. Place UHT cream in a clean bowl and add in sugar, whip until stiff, and then combine with pandan mixture.
PANDAN GEL TOPPING
100 g water
2 g agar-agar powder
10 g sugar
20 g coconut cream
20 g pure pandan juice
10 g green pea starch
40 g Paysan Breton French Whipping Cream
1. Put water in a small saucepan and sprinkle agar-agar powder over. Add sugar, coconut cream and pandan juice.
2. Mix whipping cream with green pea starch in a bowl and stir to dissolve.
3. Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook until steam appears. Then, add in the green pea starch mixture. Continue stirring until slightly thickened.
4. Remove from heat and continue to stir to cool the mixture, the viscosity should be thick but runny.
5. Prepare a 12 x 10 inch rectangular tray with parchment paper.
6. Pour the batter over the tray and spread evenly, refrigerate until set.
3 sheets of pandan coconut sponge
1 portion of pandan whipped cream (divided to 4 portions)
1 portion of pandan gel (removed from tray)
few baby strawberries
1 sprig thyme leaves
1. Place one pandan coconut sponge on a clean cake board and spread with pandan whipped cream evenly. Top with another layer and repeat this step until all sponges are used up.
2. Coat the cake with last portion of whipped cream, refrigerate for 3 hours until cream is hardened. Lay a sheet of pandan gel over the cream and pipe small cream rosettes over pandan gel. Garnish with strawberry segments and thyme leaves. Serve cold.
Payson Breton is imported and distributed by Auric Marketing Sdn Bhd.
Lot 35, Jalan Delima 1/3, Subang Hi-tech Industrial Park, 40000 Shah Alam, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.
For more information, call 03 – 5163 6363.