Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 – 8 pax
FOR SUGAR DOUGH
310 g cake flour
150 g Carotino Margarine
95 g icing sugar
FOR LEMON CURD
150 g lemon juice, neat
4 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
90 g sugar
50 g Carotino Margarine
4 large egg whites
200 g castor sugar
TO MAKE SUGAR DOUGH
1. Sift flour into a bowl.
2. Beat Carotino margarine and icing sugar until well mixed. Do not overbeat. Beat egg in until incorporated. Then, add the flour, beating until it forms a dough. Flatten dough into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, until firm.
3. Roll out the pastry to fit desired baking pan. Prick the bottom of dough with a fork. This prevents the dough from rising from its tin as it bakes.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line unbaked pastry shell with parchment paper and fill with pie weights, either rice or beans. Bake the crust for about 20 minutes or until crust is dry and lightly golden brown.
TO MAKE LEMON CURD
1. Bring the lemon juice to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. In a bowl, combine egg yolk, whole egg and sugar. Whisk together until blended. Pour the lemon juice into the egg mixture and mix well. Then, pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook, whisking constantly; bring to a boil. Run through mixture through a fine sieve. Add cut margarine and whisk into the mixture until the margarine has melted.
3. Pour the lemon curd into the baked crust and smooth the top out.
TO MAKE MERINGUE
1. In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with the whisk attachment until foamy. Add the sugar and whisk until mixture is stiff and shiny.
2. Using a spoon, place dollops of the meringue over the entire surface of the lemon curd.
3. Torch with a blowtorch until meringue is nicely browned.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 40 – 60 minutes
Yield: 9 inch cake
200 g butter
200 g Carotino Margarine
400 g sugar
2 tsp baking powder
400 g cake flour
80 g cream
50 g cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter the baking pan and set aside.
2. In a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment, beat together butter, Carotino margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Add flour and baking powder in two batches, alternating with the cream. Mix well.
5. Take about 300 g of mixture out and mix well with cocoa powder.
6. Spoon batters into the prepared pan in 2 layers, alternating spoonfuls of vanilla and chocolate to simulate a checkerboard. To create marbling, run a table knife through the batters in a swirling motion.
7. Bake for about 40 – 60 minutes. Use a cake tester to test the doneness of the cake.
Recipe by Chef Joanne Yeong.