Makes 70 – 80.
FOR WATER DOUGH
450 g Hong Kong flour
112 g high protein flour
112 g shortening
225 – 300 g water
38 g custard powder
FOR OIL DOUGH
500 g Hong Kong flour
375 g shortening
1. Make water dough: Combine Hong Kong flour with high protein flour. Add shortening, water, egg and custard powder, and mix until amalgamated.
2. Make oil dough: Combine Hong Kong flour and shortening until amalgamated.
3. Chill both doughs for half an hour.
4. Measure out 20 g portions of water dough, and 15 g portions of oil dough.
5. Wrap oil dough in water dough, then roll out with a rolling pin to form a flat circle. Roll back into a ball, then wrap a teaspoon of pandan paste inside. Allow to chill for another hour.
6. Using a razor, cut across the diameter of each ball of dough three times, forming the lines of a six-pointed star.
7. Heat oil over a slow fire, then deep-fry each pastry ball until golden brown.
Recipe by Chef Thye Yoon Kong.