Serves 2 persons.
350 g rice vermicelli
250 g medium-sized prawns, cleaned and deveined
1 tbsp fermented soya bean
1 pc beancurd, cubed and fried crispy
50 g Chinese chives
100 g beansprouts
50 g chili paste
30 g dried shrimp/anchovies
20 g prawn paste
30 g sweet black soya sauce
10 g sugar to taste
100 g mixture of garlic and red onions
50 g coconut milk
150 g cooking oil
50 g seasonings
1. Soak rice vermicelli in cold water for at least one hour.
2. Blend garlic, prawn paste, red onion and dried shrimp to a smooth paste.
3. Cut beancurd into small cubes and fry till golden brown.
4. Wash and drain beansprouts.
5. Heat oil in a pan and sauté chili paste until aromatic.
6. Sauté blended ingredients until fragrant, add in coconut milk.
7. Add fermented beans, rice vermicelli and thick sweet black soya sauce.
8. Add fresh medium-sized prawns and fry the noodles by stirring slowly as not to break the vermicelli into shorter strings.
9. Lastly, add beansprouts and Chinese chives.
10. Cook for another 5 – 8 minutes and serve.
11. May garnish with thin slices of egg omelette and raw Chinese chives.
Recipe by Chef Razif Haron.